Ron Klempner - Deputy General Counsel
Sean Brandveen - Counsel
David Kiefer - Counsel
The Legal Department is a vital function of the NBPA, as it exists – first and foremost – to protect the players’ rights and benefits. The Legal Department drafts, analyzes and interprets the Collective Bargaining Agreement and champions the players’ rights when the league or a team violates the terms of the agreement. The Legal Department also:
- Processes grievances filed on behalf of players against teams and the NBA when they interfere with or infringe upon a player’s rights and benefits;
- Counsels players and agents about players’ rights and benefits.
- Assists players and agents in negotiating players’ individual contracts.
- Prosecutes agents who fail to comply with NBPA Regulations.
- Assists the Executive Director in Collective Bargaining.