The Executive Director is responsible for the consistent achievement of the goals and objectives of the NBA Legends Foundation (the “Foundation”), as established by the Board of Directors for the Foundation. The Executive Director is further responsible for implementing the Foundation’s policies and procedures, as established by the Board of Directors, and leading the Foundation in the conduct of its day-to-day business and operations.
Status & Compensation:
- This is a part time job opportunity whereby the incumbent will be expected to work remotely (e.g. from home office).
- Some travel required including periodic visits to New York City, or other locations, for purposes of NBA Legends Foundation meetings.
- Competitive salary, based on qualifications and experience of the candidate.
- Work with the Board of Directors to develop an annual strategic plan to include: organizational goals, policies and procedures; finances; and potential partnerships.
- Develop and execute plans, policies and procedures authorized by the Board of Directors.
- Maintain communication with the Board of Directors and ensure that it is kept fully informed on the condition of the Foundation and all important factors influencing the Foundation.
- Conduct initial assessment of requests for grants by former NBA players; maintain proper records of all meetings and interactions with potential grantees; provide the Board of Directors with information sufficient to make timely and sound decisions on grant requests; and execute decisions of the Board of Directors with respect to potential grantees.
- Provide a general report on the operations and finances of the Foundation at each meeting of the Board of Directors.
- Act as a liaison between the Board of Directors and any contracted service professionals (e.g., auditor).
- Provide day-to-day oversight and direction of the Foundation and ensure that Foundation goals, policies and procedures are implemented appropriately.
- Oversee the grant-making program, including design and implementation of an application procedure, provision of appropriate assistance to potential applicants, and intake and analysis of all requests.
- Develop criteria and make recommendations for Foundation Advisory Board.
- Oversee the preparation of an annual budget for the NBA Legends Foundation.
- Maintain official records and documents and work with the Board of Directors and legal counsel, as needed, to ensure compliance with federal, state and local regulations.
- Perform administrative duties as needed, including processing mail, data entry, and bill payments.
- Develop, for approval by the Board of Directors, a plan for communications with the Foundation’s primary constituencies, stakeholders and audiences.
- Oversee creation of outreach and marketing materials for the Foundation, including the development and branding of materials and on-line portal (website) to share information on grant process.
- Initiate and develop sound working relationships with individuals and organizations involved with NBA Legends.
- Oversee the preparation and distribution of NBA Foundation’s annual report to the Board of Directors and other internal and external communications.
- Represent the programs and point of view of the NBA Foundation to the Foundation’s primary constituencies, stakeholders and audiences, as well as to the general public.
Budget and Finance
- Continue to develop and maintain sound financial practices for the Foundation.
- Work with the Treasurer and the Board of Director in preparing a budget; ensure that the Foundation operates within budget guidelines.
- Ensure that adequate funds are available to permit the Foundation to carry out its work.
- Jointly, with the Board of Directors, conduct official correspondence of the Foundation.
- Maintain a working knowledge of significant developments and trends in the field of nonprofit management.
- Perform other duties as requested by the Board of Directors.
- Ability to implement practical strategic plans.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Detail oriented.
- Proficient with standard computer programs (e.g., MS Office, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook).
- Knowledge of, and keen interest in, basketball preferred.
Five to seven years in a senior management role in an organization similar to the Foundation.
Educational Background Required
A Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited four-year college or university in public administration, business administration, education or a related field of interest to the Foundation. Advanced degree preferred.