What We Do
The NBPA represents all NBA players in many ways, including by:
- Negotiating the terms of a collective bargaining agreement ("CBA") with the NBA, which governs all aspects of players' employment.
- Ensuring that the NBA and its teams meet their obligations under the CBA.
- Certifying, regulating and educating player agents.
- Providing a full range of services, benefits and assistance through its own focused NBPA department, Player Services.
- Monitoring and negotiating the administration of retirement and insurance benefits.
- Providing on-staff security professionals to help with proprietary or sensitive matters.
- Assisting charity and community organizations.
- Promoting the positive image and reputation of NBA players, on and off the court.
Throughout the span of a player’s career, there are a number of instances when the NBPA’s services will prove necessary. Available to address player concerns seven days a week, 365 days a year, the NBPA is accessible to aggressively protect player rights and interests. Indeed, almost every player calls upon the NBPA at some point in his career to:
- Obtain expert legal advice and/or representation in a dispute.
- Receive salary and pertinent information to assist in individual contract negotiations.
- File a grievance.
- Appeal a fine or suspension.
- Help resolve player/agent disputes.
- Protect medical benefits and other rights.